Introducing "ABANDON"
There are moments in life that are major turning points in our experience and often they mark a shift in the way we think moving forward. When a friend of mine decided to retire after 45 years in banking, he felt a need to get rid of things that symbolized his professional career in order to start anew.
And that is how a box of men’s neckties arrived on my front doorstep.
My friend had known of the series of quilts I’d created with my father’s ties and trusted I would put his collection to good use. This was an opportunity to revisit some of my early work in textile art. In fact, those first tie quilts represent a pivotal moment for me. My concept of this art form made a significant transition when I envisioned displaying the last in this series as a piece of art. Suddenly, the quilt went from a cozy bed accessory to a statement piece on the wall. Eventually, this inspired me to share my experiences in here.
(Check out this link for a look back in time: https://creativelifesampler.blogspot.com/2018/02/aaaaand.html)
So, Abandon is a personal piece, meaningful for several reasons. The ties themselves honor my friend's history as a productive, conscientious professional. The composition conveys a sense of joyous breaking free. The ties are splashed across the surface like silk brush strokes to capture the exuberance of a fresh start; the abandoning of the old experience for the start of a new chapter. It also brings me back to the excitement I experienced when I realized that textile art would be a new opportunity for artistic expression and a natural unfoldment in my creative journey.

Comments
Post a Comment