Learning While Teaching


It seems amazing to me that it's over a month since I had the privilege of delivering a trunk show and giving a workshop at the Camarillo Quilt Association! It feels so recent because I'm still riding high on the experience. 

The first day was their regular members' meeting where I was guest speaker and presented my work to a very attentive audience. 

The following day was my 6 hour workshop.

I could tell from the start that this was going to be an dynamic, positive class. The creative energy increased with every person that entered the room that morning. They arrived ready to work and excited to experiment, . . every teacher's dream! 

The focus of our class was hand work. Students came with a prepared mini quilt; batting sandwiched between a solid colored top and the backing of their choice. This would become a sampler of stitches, a practice piece where they could experiment with the blanket stitch, seed stitch, rice grain (or dot) stitch and more. 

My goal in giving this workshop was to inspire people to work by hand or at least to incorporate an element of handwork in their quilts. I hoped students would walk away with new ideas and that they would be as enthusiastic about the possibilities for their work as I am. 

What I didn't anticipate was how much I would get out of the experience.

 
My presentation sampler for the workshop
(Note the threads wrapped around a safety pin in unfinished areas,
- a good way to keep things tidier while you work on another section.) 

One of the things I've always loved about teaching is that you can go into class prepared with what you have to share but there's no way to know what your students will give back. It's exhilarating when the classroom becomes a two way experience; when students, consciously or not, offer up gems to inspire the teacher.  

So thank you to that student who shared a better way to make a knot! To that student who took what she learned from one stitch and applied it to the next one on my list in a way that I hadn't thought of before, bravo! I'm excited for the student who exclaimed "I think I've found my new favorite stitch!" and for the ones who had never hand stitched before, because new horizons await. It was a joy to see you lift each other up, to see you help and encourage one another.

For the respect, patience, and support the entire class showed me, I'm humbled and grateful to you all. I appreciate your feedback because I want to improve, and I did come away with lessons learned which I know will make the next class even better. It was especially cool to exchange ideas with you and explore new possibilities. You inspired me.  

Thank you, thank you, for a wonderful experience, Camarillo Quilt Association. 

  





Comments

Popular Posts

Linen Closet: Lord's Snowfall (2 of 2)

Knitters' Gadget Reviewed