Reflections on QuiltCon 2024



In February, I was in Raleigh, NC for the whirlwind week of the Modern Quilt Guild's annual show, QuiltCon. 

This is the third year I have been able to see my work hanging along side the work of talented quilters from around the world. But this is the very first time I can share that I won a ribbon! My "Ghana Batik Study" took second place in the Handwork category. 


This was such a surreal experience!! QuiltCon 2024 kicked off with the award ceremony streaming live on Wednesday evening. Family who couldn't make the trip were able to watch the proceedings from home, and "quilty" friends from my modern quilt guild were there to cheer me on. To be honest, I'm not generally comfortable with the spotlight, but I was filled with a warm sense of gratitude for being recognized in this way. 

The convention floor: quilt show (left) keynote speaker/special exhibits (center) vendors (right)


The next morning I was eager to get to the show. In the past, I've enjoyed starting at the beginning of the exhibits and stumbled on my quilts like every other quilt show attendee. This time I just really wanted to see that ribbon. LOL

There it is in the distance!

When I finally located my category, I found a woman taking a picture of my quilt! Time to extend myself and engage in conversation. I quietly asked "Do you like it?" (after all she had taken a picture of it.) "Meh" she said. "it's alright. I'm just taking pictures of the ribbon winners."

Humbling.

But I had to chuckle, because didn't that just put me in my place?

It was an early, gentle reminder of "what it's all about," of my priorities and my motivation in making quilts. 

I create because I feel impelled to generate ideas and to make that idea or vision a reality. That's my primary focus and once the last finishing stitch has been taken I have met my goal. I share it with others in hopes of making them smile, or presenting something that calls the viewer to look closer, or inspires them to explore their own voice. 

Our creations will resonate with some people, but not with everyone who sees them, - and that's ok. If it touches just one person it has been a blessing. The one thing I know for certain is that it feeds my soul to be able to create and express myself in this way.   

And there you have it in a nut shell: the high and (not really) low of QuiltCon 2024 for me.

Comments

Popular Posts

Episode on Instagram

A Couple More Highlights- Woodlawn Needlework Show (3 of 3)